POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released : Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Version 0.1 of my Ray Tracer released
From: Andrew Coppin
Date: 25 Oct 2002 06:16:09
Message: <3db919e9@news.povray.org>
Cool... Someone else has done this...

I have also made a raytracer - in Java of all things! (Well, the original
was made with Smalltalk - but who else actually has that?) Again, the only
way to make it render things is to write [miles of] Java code to generate
the appropreate datastructures. I suspect my little effort isn't nearly as
full-featured as yours - but then, I had to reinvent raytracing from first
principles! Considering I've never had a propper algebra lesson in my entire
life, I'm pretty dam impressed I got the ray/shape intersection tests to
work at all!!! (Actually, waaaaay back I tried emailling one of the POV-Team
members about the math, but never got an answer. Hardly suprising - they
probably get daft emails like this every second wednesday...)

It's currently on my webpage. I won't go into features, URL, etc unless
someone else is actually interested. (Unlike yours, mine doesn't do anything
new that POV-Ray doesn't do.)

Andrew.

PS. Isn't building a raytracer with OOP so confusing? Which kind of "object"
are you talking about... ;-)

PPS. If I were God, POV_Ray's SDL would be object-oriented (in the
programming sense).